VA Northern Indiana Health Care System
By Give your treatment team accurate and complete information about you!
Friday, January 6, 2012
- Give your treatment team accurate and complete information about:
- Your current health problems
- Your concerns about your health
- Past illnesses
- Past hospitalizations
- Your medicines, including over-the-counter and herbals
- Other matters related to your health
- Plan ahead for your visits by writing down the questions and concerns you want to raise. Share them with your provider at the beginning of each visit.
- Share your ideas and beliefs about your health problems and treatments with your provider.
- Let your health care team know about stressful aspects of your life that affect your health and ability to manage daily activities.
- Participate in decisions about your health care and treatments with your provider.
- Let your provider know the treatment options you prefer.
- Ask questions about anything that's not clear to you.
- Speak up if you have any concerns about the care you are receiving or if you think something is wrong.
- Ask for written information and instructions that you can keep and share with your family or caregiver.
- Gather information about your health problems from your treatment team, the VA library, and websites such as My HealtheVet.
- Know your medicines and why you take each one.
- Ask when and how you will get results of any tests or treatments.
- Make sure you have the name and telephone number of a person to call if you have a problem.
- Let your team know if you face any obstacles to your care or if your condition changes.
- Have a family member or friend come with you to your appointment to help you, if you wish.
- Speak Up: The Joint Commission Patient Safety Program
- My HealtheVet http://www.myhealth.va.gov
- New Health Partnerships
- Veterans Health Library (under development)
- Healthfinder: Take Charge of Your Health
* Indicates that the link leads to a non-VA website. The VA is not responsible for the content that is on the site.
If you have questions or interest in making a healthy living change, please see your primary care team at the VA facility in which you receive health care.