VA Northern Indiana Health Care System
VA and community partners supporting Veteran homeless stand downs
August 20, 2018
This year, VA Northern Indiana Health Care System will support nine stand downs in northeast Indiana.
Last year similar events drew 850 Veterans and produced 30 referrals for follow up assistance.
The events will be held at the following locations and the dates and times are tentative:
- Angola: Sept 14, noon – 2 p.m. at the American Legion, 1760 W. Maumee St.
- Muncie: Sept. 21, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Delaware County Fairgrounds, 1210 Wheeling Ave., the Heartland Building
- Mishawaka: Sept. 26, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the VA St. Joe County Clinic, 1540 Trinity Place
- Marion: Oct. 5, 8:40 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the YMCA, 123 Sutter Way
- Anderson: Oct. 12, 9:30 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Salvation Army, 1615 Meridian St.
- Fort Wayne: Oct. 26, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. at Franke Park, 3411 Sherman Blvd., Pavilion 1
- Kokomo: Nov. 2, 9 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the UAW Union Hall, 929 E. Hoffer St.
- Warsaw: Nov. 7, 1 – 6 p.m. at Center Lake Pavilion, 117 E. Canal St.
Stand downs are intended to provide Veterans the opportunity to renew their spirit, health and sense of well-being. These events help the VA outreach and identify homeless Veterans in the community. VA and local partners in 2017 distributed over 1,700 articles of clothing, served 1,100 meals and provided almost $100,000 in excess military clothing for Veterans in 2017.
VA Northern Indiana works with community partners and plan events that integrate many resources and services that homeless or at-risk Veterans and military families may need.
Services available include: employment and housing opportunities, résumé-writing assistance, information pertaining to VA benefits, health care, personal and spiritual counseling, groceries, free calls, clothing, hygiene kits, haircuts, backpacks, bus and phone cards and home mortgages services.
For more information about 2018 Stand Down Schedule please contact Justin Raymer, NIHCS Social Work Program Support Assistant at 1-800-360-8387 ext. 71322.